Saturday, December 23, 2006


Season's Greetings

Because I grew up in one of the many and various tradition-sets included in the Christian religion, I suppose a rousing "Merry Christmas" is in order. So, Merry Christmas!

I see it more as a relaxing moment in which we can reflect on the past year, rejoice in our successes and make plans to repair our failures. It's a time to visit with loved ones and celebrate the year together, and plan for the one coming.

I've never been overly comfortable with the gift-giving part of the season--who can better buy for one than oneself? A visit and a lovely dinner trump gift-giving anytime.

Cards are another matter. I love Christmas cards. What better way to communicate (in the old-fashioned way) with those friends you don't often see. Cards can be clever, they can be funny, they can be inspirational and they can be beautiful.

Though I find more rationality in celebrating the fact that we're about to begin a period of increasing daylight and warmer days and nights, I'll wish all of you a very merry Christmas, a happy and prosperous New Year, happy Hannukah. For those of you who don't do either Christmas nor Hannukah, and whose New Year is another time of the year, I'll offer best wishes for the season.

'Tis the season for reason.

Warm regards,

Col. Hogan
Stalag California

No comments: