Monday, May 30, 2005

My first Hot Rod

I was blown away, this afternoon. I was browsing in eBay looking at old cars and checking their prices. I looked at several Chevrolets from the '40's and '50's, then at some old Pontiacs. Finally, I checked Oldsmobiles, for old times' sake.

The first, and so far, only hotrod I've built was a 1937 Oldsmobile sedan. The car was stone stock, running and driveable when I bought it in San Diego in 1986. I drove it that way for a while, but eventually I realized that I needed to start my plan to rebuild the car with an updated drive train so that it could be driven daily.

With the help and experience of my old friend, Ken Gunzelman, I put a mid-1970's GM drive train on the car, then did a little work on the body.

It ran great! I drove it all around San Diego for a couple of years, and to Lake Havasu once. 'Twas a joy to drive.

When we moved from San Diego to Los Angeles, I sold it. I didn't want to, but money was a needed commodity at the time.

Well, back to eBay. There, in the Oldsmobile listings, was my car. Rebuilt to look somewhat different than when I had it, I wouldn't have recognized it, except for one thing: It still has the same license plate.

I'd never have done many of the things the current owner did to the car, but it still looks good....kinda.

Chokes me up a mite.

They've killed Freedom! Those bastards!

Warm regards,

Col. Hogan
Stalag California

No comments: