Wednesday, May 03, 2006


Roswell, Texas?

My all-time favorite science fiction author is L Neil Smith. I actually grew up on Robert A Heinlein, and continue to re-read his stories occasionally, and I enjoy many other S-F authors as well, but I find myself watching and waiting for El Neil's next.

El Neil builds the worlds in which I would most like to live. From his first novel, The Probability Broach, which is currently in print both as a print novel and as a graphic novel (Art by Scott Bieser), is the first in an alternative history series that begins during a quirk of history during America's Revolutionary War. I could go on about the several subsequent novels Smith has written, including a couple of S-F/pirate swashbucklers, but nobody wants that!

What's new now is a graphic short story which is being serialized at Bighead Press. Roswell, Texas is another alternative history story, a "sci-fi western romantic comedy," based on a quirk of history during the Siege of the Alamo. Reading the first several pages reveals it to be a very interesting story, at least for me! I'm waiting impatiently for the next installment.

Remember, VOTE FOR NO INCUMBENT!

Warm Regards,

Col. Hogan
Stalag California

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out some of his books. I read 'Contact and Commune' a few years ago and really hated it. I could see no reason for the ending he wrote. I hope his others are better.

Col. Hogan said...

"Contact and Commune" is the first story in a trilogy. Smith was having a lot of trouble with his publisher at the time, and in the end, the third novel didn't get published. He mentions harsh editing....

In 2000, the entire trilogy was published in a single volume by Baen., called "Forge of the Elders." Reading the entire trilogy as one novel makes it much more palatable. Perhaps the "end" of "Contact and Commune" will make more sense if it isn't the end, but flows into a continuation.

It's been a long time since I read "Forge." Guess I'll have to read it again, now.