The 55mph national speed limit has once again reared its ugly head, and once again, it's leftists, in the guise of algorians, wearing their frightful mask. As one of the many unworkable plans to keep American oil companies from actually adding to the available petroleum supply, including solar power (which is still in its primitive stages,and will be for years to come) and windmill generators (which kill large numbers of birds and are too unsightly to be employed along the Massachusetts coastline) algorians now suggest that we "save" our existing, largely imported oil supplies by driving slower.
That's the "solution" the leftists of the day tried to apply to the government manufactured gasoline shortages of the Jimma Carter years--even more evidence that a B Hussein Obama Presidency will be Carter's second term.
There were many problems with the 55mph speed limit back then.
- The US Constitution has no language to allow a mandated national speed limit.
- No one observed that speed limit anyway.
- Cross-country driving took much longer than necessary.
- The cost of transporting goods by truck increased.
- State and local governments used the speed limit as a cash cow, stepping up enforcement to help fill government coffers.
- Commuters' drive time was increased, lengthening the time of their exposure to possible collisions and breakdowns.
Two cities I spend a lot of time in, driving, are Culver City and El Pueblo de Los Angeles. There's no question that they've stepped up traffic enforcement. Parking enforcement is a growth industry, as well. Lovely Rita is working overtime.
LAPD sets up a ticket factory a couple of times a week near my work area, and CCPD has a truck checkpoint they set up, complete with portable scales, once or twice a month.
What's next? A 40 mph speed limit? Freeway bicycle lanes? Increased license fees for vehicles with engines of over a liter (61 cubic inches, in American) displacement? The algorians really want to see us looking under rocks for food.
Anything at all, to avoid the rational solution: Drill now, drill here and drill fast!
Drill, ye tarriers, drill!